Sunday, July 01, 2007

Singin' the Blues

I'm a big fan of the blues - Chicago blues, Memphis blues, Delta blues - doesn't matter, I like them all. I have the blues on CD, MP3, and vinyl. I can even play the blues . . . at least, some. When I have time (which is rather rare), I sometimes relax by playing the blues on my bass guitar. As much I enjoy playing, I'm not all that great. And as much as I enjoy playing a couple of blues records on my stereo, nothing, nothing, can replace live blues. There is an energy and power to live blues which simply cannot be found on any recording. Unfortunately, there aren't really any good blues joints around here.

. . . Or, at least, there weren't.

I recently found out that a particular bar in my area was going to renovate and become a blues, jazz, and soul bar. Now, previously, this bar was such a dive, even I wouldn't go in there. It was dark, dirty, and not very inviting. It's still small and dark, but it's now clean and a great place to hang out. Last night was their grand re-opening, so I decided to check it out. It was great! The bands were groovin', and crowd was into it, and everybody was having a good time. So, if you're even in the Tempe/Mesa area, and feel like hearing some good live blues or jazz, stop by the Big Fish Pub. It still doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside you'll find great music and a fun night out. Oh, and the prices on drinks aren't too bad either!

2 comments:

KB said...

Sounds gr8! Cool to have a good local musical pub to go to!!

I like some blues, but after a while it starts sounding the same to me!! I have a friend who plays harmonica (really well!!) and he just LOVES the blues - can't get enough!!

RogueHistorian said...

Luckily, I've managed to find a couple different places, each of which does a different kind of music. Big Fish for jazz and blues, Copper Canyon for classic rock (and football), the Loft for hard rock and Grateful Dead cover bands, and Stray Cat for punk and metal. Depending on what I'm in the mood for on any particular night, I have choices!