Thursday, December 18, 2008

Yuppie Hell

I'm in Yuppie Hell. I'm in Starbucks.

And it gets better - this Starbucks is connected with a bagel shop, so there are even more people.

Journey's car needed to go into the shop today, so she took my truck to work and I'm dealing with the repairs. I had a choice of sitting in the waiting room of the mechanic's, or going over to Star-fucks for "coffee." Since someone gave Journey a Starbacks giftcard, which she gave to me, I elected to brave the Yuppies.

I'm normally in strict opposition to Starbucks. They drive out local businesses. They over-charge for everything. And their coffee tastes like shit.

And on top of it all, I'm surrounded by the "trendy." At a quick glance, the only guys without gelled hair are myself and the men over 50 - and of course the couple of guys who have simply shaved their heads. Half of the under-50 crowd are wearing pastel colored business shirts (including a pink one). The only women without professionally styled hair are (again) the ones over 50 and kids working behind the bagel counter. And I'm counting . . . ten people with bluetooth headsets and three more with smartphones growing out of the side of their heads. (I'm not going to bitch too much about the bluetooths, simply because we bought on for me in preparation for when we get to Binghamton and I get a new phone - I know I'll be spending significant time running around for work and I'll actually need one.)

At least I've been able to grab one of the small tables near an outlet, so I don't have to worry about any of these "people" trying to talk to me. Of course, leaving the headphones on helps with that!

3 comments:

Greg said...

good to see that some people are resisting having the wool pulled over their eyes. this is also where i shamelessly ask you to add me to your blogroll http://mybrainoverflowed.blogspot.com/

RogueHistorian said...

Pushy fuck, aren't ya? Just kidding! Fine fine - you have now officially be added.

Greg said...

thanks man... and i think 'pushy fuck' might even be a fair description :)