Monday, March 15, 2010

Daylight Savings

Yeah, not a fan of this. I understand where it comes from, and I understand what some people might like about it, but having lived in Arizona and Hawai'i where you don't have to deal with this crap I can say for certain that I would be far happier without Daylight Savings.

Let's face it - it's just kind of a pain in the ass.

And I don't just mean the loss of an hour's sleep every Spring (and I don't care what anyone says, getting an hour back in the fall does NOT make up for it!). There's also the remembering to reset every single bloody clock in the house. The one I hate resetting the most - because I never remember it the first time - is the clock on the thermostat. We have the thermostat set so that it turns the heat way down over night when we're asleep and it only comes back on about 1/2 an hour before we get it. Talk about a nasty fucking surprise when you wake up on a Monday morning to find it's still fucking freezing in the house because the heat hasn't kicked on because you forgot to change the thermostat clock (and, yes, I do realize there are far too many "because's" in that sentence, just go with it dammit). And while it is, in fact, a nice perk that my slippers end up in the front of the heating vent so they are nice and warm when I wake up, as I said, that's just a perk. The real issue is that getting up to a cold house simply sucks. I often have enough trouble getting up in the morning as it is; when it's still cold, it's even harder. And you have exactly the opposite problem in the fall if you forget to reset the clock on the thermostat; you spend the last hour of 'sleep' tossing, turning, and sweating because the house is now warm but you're still under the blankets (that's part of the reason that "But you get an extra hour in the fall" argument doesn't mean shit - an hour spent tossing and turning because you're too warm is NOT the same thing as an hour of SLEEP!).

Another problem is simply remembering that it's coming around again. And, yeah, I know the switches are on the same weekend every year (and then they had to go and change which weekends were used). I'm busy. I'm very often distracted with other things. There are days I consider myself lucky if I can remember which day of the week it is. Remembering which weekend I'm supposed fiddle with the clocks? Good fucking luck on that one. Hell, I had no fuckin' idea this last weekend was Daylight Savings until I heard a reminder on the bloody Weather Channel of all places!

Think about it. No more playing with clocks. No more fucking with your sleep schedule twice a year. No more Daylight Savings.

Yep - Arizona and Hawai'i have it right. Fuck Daylight Savings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that, such pointless confusion.