Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Answer is Four

The question? How many times can I almost be run over crossing the street in one attempt?

I was on my home this evening, and my route necessitates crossing two streets at one intersection. And this isn't exactly the safest intersection in town. I know this, so I actually wait for the crosswalk light before stepping off the curb. Most of the time, this is enough to ensure that I don't end up either on some one's hood or with tire tracks across my back.

Not today.

When I tried to cross the first street, a bus-driver making a right turn to head east clearly wasn't paying attention. I was. There's one.

As I was just about finished crossing this first street when a little black car, complete with teenage driver and pizza delivery sign on the roof, screeched up make a right turn (to head north) when he noticed that I was still in the crosswalk. There's number two.

I waited patiently at the corner for the light to change so I could cross the second street. The light changed, the little walkin' dude light came on so I started across. A soccer mom in a rather large SUV decided she wasn't interested in waiting through another cycle of the light, so she was just going to go ahead. While she didn't honk the horn at me, I could see that she was rather irritated that I had the gall to be in her way while she was running a red light. That makes three.

And then to top it all off, pizza-boy forgot that I was there and finally made his right turn, nearly running over my heals in the process. And that's four.

No comments: