Monday, July 24, 2006

Driving to Work on a Monday

It's amazing how aggravating a ten minute drive to work can be. And I don't simply mean because it's Monday - although that might explain some of the brilliant driving I saw this morning. I known for a while that people in Phoenix don't know how to drive, but rarely have I seen it as clearly as this morning. First, there was the asshole in my apartment complex who decided to back out without looking behind them and nearly ran their little "sporty" car into my truck (it wasn't a real sports car, but one of those designed to look one). Next, there was the guy who decided he was tired of waiting behind someone at a left turn - so he pulled around them on the left (ie - into the on-coming lanes) to make the turn, but luckily there was no one there for him to hit. Number three was the guy in front of me who was going so slow that he was dangerous to everyone. As I passed him, I saw why - he was talking on his cell phone! Now, I'll admit that I have been know to drive and talk on my cell at the same time, but at least I put it on cruise control, and ask whoever it is if I can call them back in a few. Fourth, a two-for-one. Two different drivers pushed their way to the front of the line at a construction zone. You know where construction narrows the road from two lanes to one? And there are always the people who feel they should be able to just cut to front and not wait like everyone else? Yeah, that. These people really bug me, and whenever it's possible (and safe) I try to block them out. And then to top it all off, when I got the parking lot and ejected my CD, the radio was playing Phil Collins. I hate Phil Collins. Let's see, it was about ten minute drive, with five aggravation, that works out to one aggravation every two minutes. This does not bode well for the start of the week.

2 comments:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

It's some what comforting to know that all not all of the bad drivers have settled in Cincinnati. The thing that drives me crazy about drivers here is that they don't seem to understand the purpose of a merging ramp onto the highway. Rather than speeding up to the pace of the traffic and merging in, they speed to the end of the on ramp and then come to a complete stop while waiting for a a break in the traffic to slide in.

I wonder how long it's going to take before talking on cell phones while driving is banned in all states.