Thursday, June 14, 2007

Where Are My Files?

So the ASU History Department has just launched a new webpage. In my opinion, this is a good thing. I was the one who designed the old page and managed it for a while, but I was not a big fan of it. The problem was that I didn't really have any creative control, so the results were less than ideal. Still better than the previous versions, but that's not saying much.

Anyway, this new version was designed by a professional web designer and is pretty nice. There are few things I don't like, but you're never going to make everyone happy. Anyway, when this new page was launched, the designer removed all of the old files from the server - including the files for the six project webpages I manage. This annoyed me. And it's not like the faculty members on the website committee don't know about these pages or the fact that I manage them. Luckily, I'm anal-retentive enough about my files that I have several back-ups, including the original files. Some designers I know just work on the server copies and don't bother having the originals on their computer. Not me! This means that I was able to just reload the files and everything was fine again.

But still! To just assume that those files were unimportant and could be deleted . . . There were many obscenities said under my breath at work today.

No comments: